With Mother’s day around the corner, perhaps you’re thinking about cooking something for your mother. Or maybe the contagious “Spring fever” has got to you and you’re finding yourself wanting to cook up a great meal to impress a cute date. Either way, this is one of my favorite “looks harder and more expensive than it really is” meals. Hope you try it out and enjoy!
1 lb pasta (penne usually works well)
Garlic (as much as you like – I usually go with about 3-4 cloves)
Crushed Red Pepper (as much as you like, usually about 1/2 tsp. Omit if no spicyness is desired)
One 28lb can tomatoes
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup Vodka (what roaring20something doesn’t have vodka on hand? ;) )
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Cook pasta al dente, drain, and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add garlic and red pepper. Stir for a few moments until the garlic starts to brown a little.
3. Add Vodka and reduce by about half.
4. Add tomatoes and salt. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Add cream. Bring it to a boil again and then let it simmer until the sauce is at its desired thickness. Toss in pasta and Italian Seasoning.
1. Onions taste really good with this too.. add it during step 2 with the garlic and pepper.
2. Meat tastes really good with this too… bacon comes highly recommended here. In that case it would be really tasty to cook up the bacon separately first and then use the bacon fat (yum!) to cook this sauce. Add the bacon back in at the very end. Any other meat, cook it in step 2.
3. I’ve made this without the vodka before. I’ve also made this using a lot less vodka (2 tbsp or so) – in this case, I just add the vodka in step 5 with the cream.
4. I’ve also made this with half and half to cut some of the fat out.. and it worked just fine for me.